Sunday, July 23, 2017

About Us

Rideau Mirror Office

The Review-Mirror is published in Westport, a village of 700 people on the western shore of Upper Rideau Lake, the height of the Rideau Canal between Kingston and Ottawa.

The Mirror was founded in 1893 by H.E. Bywater and operated from their office on Bedford Street seen at left.

Burt Adams took over in 1897 and ran the weekly edition until he drowned in the Upper Rideau in 1916.

The next publisher was Arthur Nibolck  and the publication would stay in their family for just over 50 years as his son James Nibolock was the publisher until 1967.

Frederick L. Hutchinson and his wife Phyllis would, over the next 20 years, expand it to cover much of the northern part of Leeds County. The Hutchinsons retired in 1987 and sold the business to Sandy and his son MPP Bob Runciman of Brockville. After two years, political commitments saw the Runcimans sell the publication to Phil Rutherford who ran it for five years. Current publisher Howie Crichton, a Westport resident and Loyalist College Journalism graduate, purchased it in November 1993 and has been hanging around ever since.

adamsBURT ADAMS

niblock

ARTHUR NIBLOCK

jniblock

JAMES NIBLOCK 

hutchinson

F.L. HUTCHINSON 

 

 

Banner Space 2

Click on image below to view the electronic version of this week's Review-Mirror.

For a free trial, email

lhaughton@review-mirror.com

newspaper read

 

ONLINE SUBSCRIPTIONS AVAILABLE NOW

FOR $29.95 including tax